Saturday, August 27, 2011

Rebecca Rusch and Thrush - August 26, 2011

I was able to go to work for six hours today!  Nausea and all.  I wanted to push through because I had plans for the evening and didn't think I should go if I wasn't strong enough to put in some time at work.

After work, I took a two hour nap.  When I woke up, my tongue was painful.  I looked at it in the mirror and it was solid white.  I called a friend and she confirmed what I thought it probably was "thrush."  I called my dentist and he called in an anti-fungal rinse for my mouth.  It hurts so I use my magic mouthwash with it.  Just another sign my immune system is being bombarded by chemotherapy.

Idaho's own Rebecca Rusch!  Inspirational for me!
On to the evening's festivities.  Dr. Fahim Rahim and Barrie's Sports brought Rebecca Rusch to Idaho State University for the showing of Race Across the Sky II.  I was certainly in need of some motivation!  Get this, I took my "are you terminal" hat with me and had her sign it!  It now says, "You are Amazing ~Rebecca Rusch."  I should have told her about the woman who asked me if I was terminal.  Now, I'll wear that had with pride.  Rebecca has won the Leadville 100 mountain bike race the last three years.  She calls herself "The Queen of Pain."  I've followed her for the last three years.  She is a force!  She said riding 100 miles or 24-hours is all in the mind.  Your body can do the work if your mind believes it can.  That almost brought me to tears.  Just the inspiration I needed to hear after having quite a few hard days after Tuesday's chemo session.

Thrush, bone pain, nausea, sores in my throat and stomach, hair loss, extreme fatigue....cancer....I can mentally make the shift to mentally believe the chemotherapy is doing its work.  It might tear me down, but I will get back up again.

But for now...back to bed.

3 comments:

  1. You are a stong and amazing woman. Thank you so much for the gift that is your blog. Makes me feel very connected to you and what you're going through.
    Live Strong!
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep hanging in there. Your optimism is very motivating. Big hugs and I'm praying for you to have strength and a positive outcome to all you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sound like an AWESOME and uplifting event to attend and that she went 100 miles in 24 hours is AWESOME!!!

    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you took your hat and had her sign it!!! Stay optimistic but don't forget a good cry every now and then is good for the soul as well :)

    As for thrush..it is SUCKY!!! My sister said that they have a standing order for all of their chemo patients for magic mouth wash, nystatin wash and diflucan....the good news..the drugs are giving cancer a run for its money :)

    ReplyDelete