Saturday, August 13, 2011

Terminal? I Think Not.



I went shopping today. For some items that will help my immune system. And, I got a few new goodies for myself. I bought pink towels for the kitchen. They have neat breast cancer awareness ribbons on them with butterflies. At the checkstand, the clerk said she thought they were cute. I said, "yes, I love them. I have breast cancer and am buying them for my kitchen." She immediately said, "are you terminal?" I think my jaw will be sore in the morning because it hit the floor. What a question!

I wish I would have thought quick enough to say "life is terminal." But, I just said, "no, I have an aggressive and advanced metastatic breast cancer. I'm going through chemotherapy and radiation to beat it." She wished me good luck and I left. Walking away I just laughed out loud. Amazed by her comment. I had on a nice hat to cover my head and had makeup on. I thought I looked pretty darn good today. That bubble was burst. After I unloaded the bags into my car I looked at myself in the mirror. I still think I look okay today. I am wicked tired. I had envisioned doing some additional shopping, and after that short trip and comment, I went home, ate lunch and took a nap.

Now that I've had some time to process what happened, I'm just sad she didn't think before she said what she did. Is she kicking herself now? Realizing it was insensitive? I'll never know. I certainly have said things I regretted immediately after saying them, we all have, but I think this also shows we must provide more education to the public that cancer is not the death sentence it once was. The field of oncology has made giant strides to beat this devastating disease. People are being screened and diagnosed sooner. Surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation treatments and alternative medicine, meditation, and so forth, are allowing people to beat cancer with improvements on quality of life while battling it with medications to make the battle easier.

I purchased watermelon, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, the towels, eye shadow, mascara, makeup remover, Butterfinger candy bars (two), hand sanitizer, echinicea tea, and mineral water (without carbonation because that hurts too much to drink right now). I was proud of the healthy items in my cart. Butterfinger candy bars are comfort food. Good for the soul.

If she would have simply thought about what I was purchasing, she would have realized I'm busy living, not thinking about dying. And that's what I'm doing!
P.S.  The "THINK" photo is from Pure Nourishment.  I follow her on Facebook and it popped up on FB this afternoon.  Perfect timing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment