Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Port Placement & Chemo Kickoff

I had surgery to have the port placed below my clavicle yesterday.  There is a round plastic and metal object and a line that goes directly into my subclavian artery.

First off, while talking to the nurse in pre-op we realized her cousin went to Iraq with Michael on his second tour of duty!  What a small world.  His name is Ira and he is an AWESOME guy.  She was GREAT as well.  Small world.  The Lord put her in the room with me, I'm sure.

For some reason I thought I was just going to get a local and I would be awake during the procedure and that it would only take 15 minutes.  I misunderstood.  They heavily sedated me with Versed and Propofal and it took an hour.  Conor was my chauffeur to the hospital and was there to hold my hand.  (Olivia started marching band practice yesterday!!!)  It was, and is, very painful.  I bled through the dressings so I had to change them last night.  I can barely lift my arm.  I cannot see how they will be able to use it to give me chemotherapy today.  It HURTS terribly.  I know they have a numbing cream.  Maybe that will be the trick.

The other stressor is the surgeon said she saw pockets of pus in the area where she put the port.  I was very groggy so I cannot remember anything other than she said she is concerned about infection.  I'm wondering how/why in the world I have pus in that area?  The area seemed perfectly fine to me.  They also gave me a packet of information about the port.  It's called a "PowerPort."  I now have a bracelet to go with my LiveSTRONG and breast cancer awareness bracelets.  Medical providers need to know what brand it is.

I also had a reaction to the pain meds - ITCHING!!!  Typically I take Benadryl to make the itching stop but they wanted me to take it after I got home because I had so many other meds in my system.  So, Conor held my hand and kept me from itching.  He's 19 and works part-time so I don't see him often.  It was so good to spend time with him.

We left the hospital around 3 p.m. and went home quickly and went to a birthday party for a five year old.  Both children were going and I didn't want to be alone - and I ADORE he little boy.  His name is Aiden.  He's the one that let me wear his superhero cape when I had my head shaved.  In fact, I was emotional last night and started crying telling his parents that I love Aiden so much.  He brings great joy to my life.  I relaxed and just took in the energy of all the beautiful children at the party.

Olivia and I watched True Grit when we got home.  I want to win this battle with my own sheet determination and grit.  It was good.  I nodded off a few ties, but LOVED it.

I am trying to think of a way to visualize the chemo drugs killing the cancer.  I wish I had something profound and beautiful I visualize, but I think of Pac Man chomping away at them.  Wocka, wocka, wocka!  Funny, huh?!





So, now it's time to drink some hot tea and pack my bag for the Cancer Center.  Treatment #1 coming in a few hours.  My Sissy, Conor, and Olivia are going with me.  One hour of education and then 1.5-2 hours of chemo. I'm ready to get started and allow the medicine to kill the cancer cells in my body!

4 comments:

  1. Love the pac man reference. Following your days closely babe - you're a fighter! And funny :-). Stay positive and know that you are loved around the world.
    Hugs and strength,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dana! There is a nurse named Dayna at the Cancer Center and she said my Pac Man idea is not new. People use it all the time. I was bummed! I wanted to be the first to think of it. Hugs! ~Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it was new to this Dana!! You will always be the first to think of it to me. Plus, she spells her name funny - so there! :). wocka, wocka, wocka. Keep envisioning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Miss Denise. Ruth and I are keeping you in our thoughts and especially in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete