Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Second Round of Chemo - August 23, 2011

Today my chemo session went well.  Most of all, the cream on my port site helped immensely.  The nurse also sprayed some freezing spray on it, but it was nothing compared to my first session.  She drew blood from the port to check my WBC's and also blood to test my genetic risk for hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.  It will take about 5 weeks to find out the results.

Secondly, we (my friend Jen E. went with me....thanks, Jen) met with Dr. Ririe and he said since I have asked for dose-dense therapy my chemo time will be reduced significantly.  For the rest of my chemo it will be every two weeks and if I figured it out correctly, I will be done around November 15th!  In time for Thanksgiving.  Of course, I still have 5-6 weeks of radiation to still finish, but it's still good news that I will get done sooner. (The first plan was 6 months and 16 rounds of chemo.  Dose-dense will make it 8 treatments!  It's a catch-22 situation, because the dose-dense therapy will likely hit me pretty hard.  But, if it kills the cancer, I'm ready for it.

I did tell him about my breathing difficulties (none today) and my back pain.  He's scheduled an MRI for tomorrow.  It's quite painful so I will be curious to see if it shows anything (hopefully not cancer).  I have to saw I am so thankful for everyone on the entire team at the Cancer Center.  They rock!

IV meds into my port.  Dexamethazone, Emend, Adiramycin, Cytoxan, and Zofran.

Tired, but happy to have another done down.  Now, off to bed.  Boy, did I get my but chewed by one of the nurses to REST, REST, REST.  Message received.  

1 comment:

  1. First off I LOVE your blanket it is beautiful!!! Not as beautiful as your smile but still beautiful!!! Second I could not agree with you nurse more..you need to REST, REST, REST. I know you are type A and I know that like me you want to keep on going and not have to stop to deal with some issue like maybe...Cancer :) But take the moments you need my friend :)

    ReplyDelete