Wednesday, August 24, 2011

MRI and Neulasta Shot-August 24, 2011

I woke up nauseated and exhausted.  I went to work for a few hours. Then, I went to the Cancer Center, received my Nuelasta shot in the back of my arm.  Then, I was to receive an IV contrast during the MRI and they indicated my port site could be used for it as well.  My fear of the port is now greatly reduced since I've started using Emla cream.

I'm so tired I fell asleep several times during the MRI, which is a good thing because I get slightly claustrophobic in the tube.  Afterwards, the MRI technician, hadn't taken out an IV access to a port before, so he put saline and heparine through the port, and I pulled it out.  I don't know what I was thinking!  Brooke, from the Cancer Center, said I could go back and have them take it out.  I didn't think it would be that hard.  I had blood to my waist by the time I finally got it out. And, it hurt like crazy/!  I'll have to pay more attention when they take it out during my next chemo.  I should find the MRI results tomorrow.  Hoping for no mets to my spine.  "Mets" is common cancer terminology for metastasis.

On to a less depressing subject.  The Neulast shot. The extremely expensive shot. I had to find out more about it.  Interestingly, I did. Just reading the patient insert at the Cancer Center peaked my curiosity.  Straight from the Amgen, It says, "Neulasta is a man-made form of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF), which is made using the bacteria e.coli.  G-CSF is a substance produced by the body.  It stimulates the growth of neutrophils, a type of white blood cell important in the body's fight against infection."  The most fascinating thing to me is that it's made using e.coli.  I work in public health. We educate people on proper food preparation to prevent getting e.coli, and now I'm paying to receive it in my shots to bring my white blood cell counts up.  I'd already read the most common side effect is bone pain.  Others are splenic (spleen) rupture, Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), and allergic reaction.  So, there is the result of my research.  I want to do more research on what and how e.coli is used in the injection, but, frankly I'm tired and nauseated.

Time to go back to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. That is very, very interesting about the Neulasta shot. I find it amazing how something we worry so much about can provide such an amazing boost to the immune system.

    My heart always aches for you Miss Denise when I ready these blog's because I want to be there to give you a hug and cheer you on...

    ReplyDelete