Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chemo Number 7 Completed!

Yes, chemo number seven has been completed.  It was Taxol #3.  The typically appointment goes like this:  I wave at the women at the front desk and head to the chemo suite.  Then, an oncology nurse puts the Power Port gadget on my chest, draws blood, and then I head back to the front waiting room.  

I met with the oncologist today and told him I felt a new lump in my axilla this morning.  Now, I have two.  He said he is very concerned about it.  Tomorrow I go to the hospital to get a CT of my lungs with and without contrast, so my gadgets for the Power Port in my chest so it can be used to put the contrast. Then, on Friday I'm going to have an MRI of my brain.  I've been having headaches again.  And that will be with and without contrast.  

My mind is a scattering of fear and unbelief.  Especially based on my post yesterday - that I've been scared that I may not make it through this.  Cut, paste, and delete.  :)  I'm going to try to go through these three days of tests trying to remain positive and process some of the things Michael and I discussed with the oncologist.  I seem to remember that he said if the chemo didn't work and I have cancer in other areas, that I wouldn't have to do the final treatment.  Michael thought he said they would do it prophylacticaly.  The oncologist said that if it is metastasized to other areas they will look for Phase I and Phase II Clinical Trials.  He mentioned the words "salvage palliative care," and I wrote them down without a full understanding of what it means.  At first I thought it meant they were going to send me home to die, but that's not the case.  I'm still reeling. 

Next, we headed back to the chemo suite.  Michael calls it the "she-mo" suite.  Because I had not received the Neulasta shot last time, my WBC's were lower, but not so low that I could not get chemo today. I was happy for that!  I want to stay strong and get done with all the treatment!  My Dad and Ellen were there during that time and doted on me.  Dad got some photos of me with a new ski cap I got from my friend Lindsey!  It rocks!

So, I received the pre-chemo cocktail and then the nurse started the Taxol infusion.  Within one minute I started having a reaction. I could feel a blue fog in my chest and lungs and it was hard to breathe!!!  I also felt an entire pressure in my head and looked at Ellen and asked her if my head was red and originally it wasn't, and then within in minute or so, it became very red.  My Dad hit the bell and the nurse immediately turned off the Taxol and even used a syringe to get it out of the line in my chest.  My blood pressure, normal at the beginning of my appointment, was up to 144/95 or something alarmingly close to that.  It quickly went down.  They ordered additional Benadryl to infuse into my port and then started it again about 45 minutes later.  I was closely monitored and didn't have another interaction.  Thank goodness!!  With the additional meds in my system, I went right to sleep.  Michael went to do some errands and Dad and Ellen stayed with me.  

So, it ended without any fan fare.  I'm home, now resting, and blogging!  I plan to go to bed early.  I'm anxious about the upcoming tests and pray there is no cancer.  


4 comments:

  1. Miss Denise My heart hurts for you and I wish I could be there to give you a HUGE hug and go with you to one of the chemo treatments.

    You are in our thoughts and prayers and I pray that all is okay with your scans my friend...one only can take so much:)

    Hang in there and don't forget, "cut", "paste" and "delete".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazingly, strong woman Denise. We have know each other for a VERY long time, with many more years to go! I am reminded of you when I hear the county song called, "and I thought I was tough". Your positive energy and attitude can and will get you through this. You are in my thought and prayers daily. Love ya, Jerry Mc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for being such a great friend Jerry!!! I am going to have to look up that song. Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hang in there! Sending you hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete