Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lymph nodes, lymph edema, and laughter.

Recently, I read an article on preventing lymphedema.  After having an axillary node dissection to remove cancerous lymph nodes and those surrounding them in my left armpit I needed additional education on the subject.  Lymph nodes are part of the immune system.  They are found throughout the entire body.  Because many were removed from my left axilla I need to take certain precautions to avoid infection and lymphedema (swelling in the arm).

The biggest impact to me thus far is that I cannot carry a purse on my left arm any longer.  And, I can't lift heavy things with that arm.  Those who know me well know I LOVE purses and bags.  I often take 2-3 to work with me.  After I got my cancer diagnosis, I purchased some office supplies as my mobile cancer command center to keep track of important documents, and yes, I bought a new bag for the occasion (much to my husband's dismay).  I would estimate that on some occasions my purse approaches the 20 pound mark.  I now am trying to scale down to smaller purses.  Not an easy thing for me. AT ALL.

I digress....but the purse thing is a life changer for me too!

So, other suggestions were to meant to be precautions to reduce the risk of cuts, hence reducing the chance of infection.  One suggestion was to use an electric razor in the axilla/armpit so as not to cut one's self.  I bought one yesterday.  And, I proceeded to use it this morning because even though I'll be losing all of my hair in the coming weeks, I needed to shave.

I should preface this part by saying I am now 16 days post-surgery and still have stitches in my armpit and the area where lumpectomy was done....

When I shaved my armpit I wasn't really thinking and I zipped one of my stitches right off!  Yes, that is par for the course for me.  Not as painful as when my drain tube got caught on the door knob, but typical clutzy Denise.  I hope you're laughing.  I certainly did.  But then, I realized that Dr. H is going to have to dig to get the knot and cut the stitches out.  Major blunder on my part!  I'm sure the surgeon will find it fascinating when I see her on Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. Keep hanging in there. You are amazing and very strong.

    ReplyDelete