Tuesday, July 19, 2011

12 days post axillary node dissection surgery & more

Can I just say, WOW, I was NOT  prepared for the recovery time following the node dissection and lumpectomy.  I'm still really struggling with pain!  I've found sites where other women explain how difficult the surgery recovery was.

I tried to see my surgeon yesterday, but she's out this week.  I ended up in the ER last night, but the visit was really precipitated by my daughter.  She had a fairly severe panic attack last night and collapsed in our kitchen.  Conor came to get me.  Her symptoms were unlike any panic attacks she's had in the past so I took her in.  Since I was there I asked to also be checked.  Olivia is doing okay today.  She has a lot on her mind.  Her dad has a brain injury and now her mom has breast cancer.  A lot for a 15 year-old to take in.  She admitted at the hospital last night that she's really scared for me - starting chemotherapy.  I told her she should/can go with me to see how nice the new facility is and how nice the "chemo suites" are.  Then she will literally see what happens and it won't be a mysterious place that I go to for treatment.  She seemed okay with the idea of being my chemo buddy a couple of times.

The ER physician said my incisions & sutures look very good (they do).  He also said the hypersensitivity on the back of my arm (air touching it HURTS) is a nerve that has been stretched or knicked trying to regenerate.  I'd read that as well.  He reassured me that it will get better with time.  He said if it's hypersensitive it will eventually resolve itself. And he said if it's numb, it will stay that way.  I shaved my axilla* yesterday and it is completely numb.  It is the oddest sensation.  I also have significant pain in the area beneath where the drain was.  It made it difficult to breathe yesterday.  Concerned, the doctor ordered a chest x-ray and he said it looked good (no new cancer), but that I have some musculature near my chest wall that's swollen.  So, I'd been trying to not take the pain meds - and was more diligent with them today and it helped a lot.  I wish I didn't have to, but my body is definitely speaking to me and telling me otherwise.  After all that we got home and I ended up back in bed by 2 a.m.  Up at 7:45 a.m. because the City of Pocatello had some lovely gentleman with a jackhammer one block down that didn't know I needed extra beauty sleep this morning.  I went to work and made it from 8:30 to 2:30.  That was my limit today.  But the longest I've been able to stay at work since the surgery!  It's baby steps!

I am making changes to my diet. I'm only drinking water, club soda, prune juice (to counteract the pain meds), tea, and an occasional chocolate Frosty from Wendy's.  I'm struggling with sugar cravings so I've been eating dried apricots.  They are yummy.  But, yesterday, it was at or near 100 degrees here in Pocatello so we headed to Wendy's and got Frosty's. I was proud of myself.  Michael and the kids know my regular was two jr. cheeseburgers and a small fry.  Yesterday I ordered the berry almond chicken salad with the Frosty.  The salad was GREAT.  YUM.  Strawberries and blueberries with a raspberry vinaigrette.   I'm also working to really decrease my sugar intake because this cancer is said to grow/feed on sugar.  And, I'm increasing my veggie consumption.  Especially broccoli.  That's supposed to be somewhat of a wonder food for fighting cancer cells.  It's amazing how you can learn to like something when you know you must eat it to rid the nasty demon cells.  I had vegetable steamers today with broccoli, cheese, and rice today (very low cal) and it was delicious!

And, finally, I am really concentrating on meditation, guided imagery, and positive affirmations.  I meditate and/or listen to cancer healing tapes at least twice a day.  I am VERY focused on the positive and will NOT let negative thoughts pervade my consciousness.  I am focused. A bit of a distracted space cadet, but focused, on HEALTH.  :)


*I HATE the word armpit. I prefer the term axilla.  That being said, I think I'm very "punny" saying the surgery and recover has been the PITS!  LOL.

4 comments:

  1. You are amazing, and so is Olivia! Your blog of this journey helps me too as I have huge cancer fears-/so far for no reason--and it is good to see how far our ability to beat this has come. There is hope, and you will beat this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has been battling the "good kind" of thyroid cancer for more than three years. Three surgeries, two iodine pills, 35 IRT radiation treatments, and several months on the low iodine diet. Cancer is never normal. I think your positive attitude and determination are going to do amazing things for your healing. I'll be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MIss Denise that is A LOT for Olivia. We learned dealing with my issues that we really have to talk things out with our kids even though they are young. I know the feeling you are talking about when you shaved...I have that on my face and neck from the surgery and it is weird.

    I know there will be ups and downs but remember do not push it to hard eat healthy but you can splurge on occasion and remember to listen to your body!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you to all three of you. Easy Rider - yes, cancer treatments have made great strides. Anonymous - GOOD LUCK to your husband. I'll keep him in my prayers. Lane Family - hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete