Thursday, July 21, 2011

The importance of dental care during chemo and radiation.

I work in public health, in the field of emergency preparedness.  Recently, I was talking about my cancer diagnosis with a co-worker who is a dental hygienist (love you!) and when I said I have to go through chemo and radiation, she said, "sweetie, at some point we need to talk about your dental care."  I said, "my HAIR and my TEETH are going to fall out?!"  She said no.  But there are measures I need to take to care for my teeth during my cancer treatments.  I did not know this!

I've since learned more.  Here is a good article about it:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/dental_care_for_chemo/03/prweb3320514.htm

And, I'm proud to say I got into the dentist today and didn't have any cavities!  Yay.  Best news I've had in weeks.  I am petrified by the dentist and having a cavity filled terrifies me.  I now think I'm more terrified of chemo and will say the dentist is much lower on the terror scale now.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment