Thursday, October 20, 2011

Done with Sixth Chemo

I had my sixth chemotherapy session on Tuesday.  It was my first session with Michael home.  It was very comforting to have him with me.  We had a brief visit with the P.A. before starting chemo.  We discussed my decision to have an oophorectomy and bi-lateral mastectomy.  I could have the oophorectomy in the 4-6 weeks between chemo and radiation.  There are also some decisions to be made about my bi-lateral mastectomy prior to starting radiation.  She also asked me if chemo has put me into menopause.  That answer is YES.  Perhaps that is why I'm feeling rather depressed and overwhelmed today.  I also talked with her about how excruciating the bone pain was with the last round.  We decided to nix the Neulasta shot this round and see if it helps reduce the pain - and hope my white blood cell counts stay in the healthy range and I don't get sick.  And, it's a good thing we're trying to go without it.  I got the bill for my treatments for the month of September and the price of the Neulasta injection went up from the August billing.  It went from $12,387 to $13,497!!!  Goodness, why in the world would it increase that much in one month?  And, I  got two injections in September.  

Next, we then moved to the chemo suite.  It was my second round of Taxol.  After about 15-20 minutes I had a slight adverse reaction to it.  I was listening to Michael and my friend Carol talking when suddenly I felt a strange sensation in my chest.  It felt like a fog was setting in.  Then, I began to have difficulty breathing.  I waited for about a minute and starting waving at Michael and Carol and asked them to get the nurse.  As I struggled to breathe, she immediately stopped the Taxol infusion and took my blood pressure.  It was high, especially my diastolic pressure.  I just focused on breathing and worked to calm myself down so we could restart the infusion.  We restarted it about 45 minutes later.  Once sure I wasn't going to have any other problems, I took a nap because the combination of Zofran, Ativan, and Benadryl makes me very tired.  We were there for a total of seven hours.  

I'm battling extreme fatigue now.  Some bone pain.  It appears as though my friend "thrush" is making another appearance.  I actually have signs of thrush on my gums, which has been there for about a week.  And, I'm quite depressed.  Maybe it's the doldrums of chemotherapy.  I only have two chemo sessions left.  Then time off to heal and then start radiation.  

I can't help but wonder if the poison being infused into my body every two weeks is killing the cancerous cells?  Will I have a recurrence?  There is a 30% chance it will return in my lungs, liver, or brain.  I hated statistics while working in my master's degree and I don't like these statistics at all.  Being BRCA2+ also increases my chances of other types of cancer.  True to my nature, I have been reading scientific articles that are coming out regarding triple-negative breast cancer and quite frankly, it's upsetting.  I know, many of you think I should quit reading these articles.  But, I'm looking for good news in these articles!  Sifting through them for new treatments or studies that have a glimmer of hope.  

I know a lot of the fight is mental.  A positive attitude.  A will to live.  I certainly have that.  I want to see my son and daughter finish college, get married, and have successful careers.  I want to grow old with Michael.  I want to start running again.  Watch the changing seasons.  Autumn is my favorite season and I feel like I'm missing this fall because I'm always resting and/or sleeping.  

Today is just one of those down days.  It has to be normal for someone living in the shadow of cancer.  

8 comments:

  1. Oh sweetie. I'm so sorry. You're going to have those kinds of days and it's completely normal. Are you taking anything for depression?

    I'm with you; I'd read everything I can get my hands on. That's the only way you truly know what you're facing. This is YOUR battle to fight, and you should do so in whatever way empowers you the most.

    Hugs and love and good thoughts from Spokane.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,I'm so happy to hear that Michael is home and able to provide the level of support to you that only a spouse can. Sounds like his homecoming was a sweet one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On another note, while reading some emails this morning I learned that someone else I know has triple negative breast cancer. She is Judith Pearson, close friend of my sister, author, and not coincidently the creator of a website "Courage Concepts". AND she has a blog in which she writes of her experience with the cancer. www.courageconcepts.com and www.courageconcepts.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've met Judith, read one of her books, and appreciate her exploration of courage in its various forms. And, I believe you and she share some characteristics. When you have the energy, check out her website.

    Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are going to be the good news. I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is normal - the taxol is really bitter stuff and does all kinds of things to the mind/body. I really believe that people who don't own the 'down' times aren't really being honest. Dealing with this it is just natural to have times when you feel depressed - so much fatigue, fear, and frustration (ha, three f's). btw, I somehow lost your email address - gah. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talk about one hit after another. I know that you reach a point where you appreciate everyone cheering you on and saying it is okay and you are amazing. Those things are ALL true but at times you need to also hear that it SUCKS...statistics SUCK and CANCER SUCKS!!!!

    Also I want you to know that everything is coming at you at once and you need to take it one moment at a time...even a second at a time when necessary.

    There are many things coming at you but try to just think for a few moments everyday about the good things. like having your husband back and your great kids...really try not to let yourself become overwhelmed....and just keep swimming.....plus I LOVE how honest you are being about what is really going on...that is what helps us all!!

    I have your surprises but need to know if you want them sent to work or your home...if it is your home then I need your address :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Kate. And thank you, Susan, I really hate Taxol. This last round was so hard. I'll write about it soon.

    ReplyDelete