Sunday, October 9, 2011

Chemo #5 difficulties

On October 4, 2011, I had my fifth chemotherapy treatment.  It was my first round with Taxol.  I was given the usual pre-chemo cocktail of Emend, Dexamethazone, Zofran, and Ativan.  This time I also received Benadryl and Pepcid to counteract allergic reactions that can happen with Taxol.  The reactions occur not from the Taxol itself, but the liquid the Taxol is suspended in.  I didn't have any reactions - but I did get very looped and groggy from the Benadryl, Zofran, and Ativan combination.  I had several wonderful visitors and finally told Jennifer and Sarah that I needed to drift off in sleep for a while.  We were there a total of six hours!  

I went back 24 hours later and received my Neulasta shot.  Yes, the $12,387 shot.  Fatigue had already set in. Nausea, not so much!  Thank goodness.  I went to an accupuncturist on Thursday to counteract some of the side effects.  My chief complaints were muscle and bone pain.  It was relaxing.  But, that evening, the bone and muscle pain were excruciating.  I was up most of the evening.  I called the cancer center on Friday morning and the oncologist wrote a prescription for a stronger pain med.  Barely able to walk, a friend picked up the script and delivered it to the house.  THANK YOU.  It takes the edge off, but barely.  It honestly feels like my bones are breaking.  My pelvic bones, my femur, tibia, and ankle bones.  I also have severe abdominal pains.  These are all listed as side effects for Taxol and Neulasta.  

Other side effects I'm having are extreme hot flashes and thrush, again.  I would classify the hot flashes more as a volcanic eruption.  My scalp gets SO HOT.  Beads of sweat drip off my head.  I have them during the day and night.  I'm fairly sure I'll have to replace our pillows once I'm done with treatment because they get soaked at night.  And then, freezing cold.  Not much sleeping of late.  

Still struggling, I called the oncologist on-call Saturday and explained the pain I'm experiencing.  He asked my age.  When I told him, he said it's likely my bone marrow is really mounting a strong fight to develop new blood cells and that is what is causing the pain.  He suggested I also take Ibuprofen with the narcotic medication.  

Conor and Olivia have been great.  Conor has made countless trips to the grocery store for me.  Others check on me daily knowing this round has been the hardest of all.  It makes me wonder what the next round will be like.  

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there! You are an insperation and such a strong Women. I think about you and CPT O'Farrell all the time. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help, anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey. I'm so so sorry you are having to go through this. Thank you for sharing your experience with us; know that there are so many of us praying for you, rooting for you, and thinking of you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I continue to admire the strength and character you demonstrate throughout this process. AND, I'm so glad to hear that Michael will be home soon. That's sure to lift your spirits.

    ReplyDelete