Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Chemotherapy #3

Chemotherapy #3 with Adriamycin and Cytoxan is complete.  Yay!  One left to go with A/C and then four rounds of Taxol.

I worked before this round & left work after a conference call.  The Cancer Center parking lot was FULL so I had to park in the parking garage.  I felt a little strange walking in with my big fluffy pink blanket.  I am 43-years-old and carrying a blanky.  But, it truly does give me great comfort.  And warmth!  I get so cold during treatments.

My Dad and Ellen came in right after they inserted the tubing to the port, while Brooke was drawing my labwork.  Then, we met with the PA, Jennifer.  She is awesome.  So calm and comforting.  We discussed my back spasm, depression, thrush, and nausea and she said she thought the oncologist would want to decrease my Cytoxan by 10%. She said they had decreased my Adriamycin by 10% last time because my WBC's had been so low.  I didn't know that!  And, I didn't want them to decrease the Cytoxan!  I want to kill all the cancer cells. But, Jennifer calmly explained that I have to be healthy enough to finish all of the treatments and they don't want to kill me with chemo.  I started singing, "Killing me softly with chemo, killing me softly, with chemo, killing the cancer, with chemo..."  She didn't laugh.  I thought it was hilarious. Maybe it was my singing.  All during our visit my dad is snapping pictures!  Some are on FB and I'll post some here.

Also, the Neulast shot is doing its job and my WBC counts were normal!  Bonus. They should be with how much the injection costs.  It should come and fold my laundry too.
Jennifer, PA, telling  me they will decrease Cytoxan.
So, then we moved into the chemo suite and got started with the pre-chemo cocktail of Zofran, Ativan, Emend, and Dexamethazone.  Then the fun stuff.  Cytoxan and then Adriamycin.  Dad and Ellie just watched as they dripped into my veins.  It's pretty surreal.  And, it was so busy.  It makes me sad.  Almost every chemo chair was full when I got there.  I was one of the last ones to leave.  I pray for a cure. 

Talking with Ellen.

We talked about my Dad's recent work in New Orleans (he works for UP Railroad teaching new hires) and because he loves photography so much he went to Bourbon Street and got some great shots of the nightlife.  He's also taking dragonfly photos.  I LOVE DRAGONFLIES.  I've even changed from the Pac Man visualization to dragonflies flitting through my system and zapping the cancer cells.  I just had a thought, I can start singing, "Another One Bites the Dust," while visualizing the cancer cells dying. I must be in a musical mood.

Around 1:00 p.m. my Dad brought up lunch and being hungry.  I told them they could leave, but they didn't want to.  Then, Ellen was reading Sunset magazine and talking about great recipes.  It just made us hungrier!  They ran to Ruby Tuesday and I checked on my work email.  I'm a great multi-tasker.  Receiving chemo and working!  They made it back in time to see Brooke giving me the "Red Devil," the Adriamycin.  It's very potent and it turns my urine red for hours afterwards.  Sorry, TMI, but information someone else may need to know.
Brooke, RN, giving me Adriamycin by hand.
Social Worker/Counselor,  Robb.   
My Dad didn't understand that they major part of my port is under my skin, embedded into my chest.  When Brooke took off the tubing and withdrew the needle, he thought the port was out.  I showed him the bump and had him feel it....he jumped out of the chair.  Too cute, Dad!  
It's chilly in the chemo suite, so Dad was warming his feet too.
With the exception of having to reduce the chemo drugs, it was just a relaxing afternoon catching up with my Dad and Ellen.  I could sense it was hard for them.  It is hard.  But, we'll make it through.  I love you both.

Five more rounds to go.  Then 30-33 rounds of radiation.  Another One Bites the Dust...........

4 comments:

  1. Just had to tell you that this blog entry made me smile...partly because of your song references, but mostly because it seems like you were in good spirits when you wrote it. Here's to more good days than bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration to us all - keep singing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a gorgeous bald woman, Denise! Seriously, it works for you! :)

    Love that your dad is taking dragonfly pictures for you. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love your singing analogies they are GREAT!!! I also would love to see some of your Dad's Dragonfly photo's you know I am with you when it comes to LOVING them!!

    Also is your Social WOrker Robb Dye??? I went to High School with him my maiden name was Broadbent and he is a great guy from a great family!!

    My sister also calls it the "red devil" but she says it does work the magic!!!

    By the way you look AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete