Sunday, September 18, 2011

BRCA2 and Henrietta Lacks

So, I've had some time to process my BRCA2 positive test result.  I had somehow convinced myself the tests would come back negative despite the fact my mother has had cancer twice and my grandparents on my father's side had breast cancer and prostate cancer.

I received a packet of information from the Myriad Genetic Laboratories, via the Cancer Center, on Thursday, September 15, 2011.  It says, "the results of this analysis are consistent with the germline BRCA2 frameshift mutation 4075delGT, resulting in a stop codon at amino acid position 1284 of the BRCA2 protein."  It also says,  "deleterious mutations in BRCA2 may confer as much as an 84% risk of breast cancer and a 27% risk of ovarian cancer by age 70."

Well, I've become part of the 84% statistic already.  I've decided I will have my ovaries removed and will not become a statistic for ovarian cancer.  I will likely also have a bi-lateral mastectomy to reduce my chances of getting breast cancer again.  The information indicates a cancer risk reduction of 90% with a mastectomy and 96% for oophorectomy (removal of ovaries).

As I mentioned in previous posts, it increases my risk of other cancers as well.  The information says, "some families also have an increased risk of pancreatic tumors and melanoma.  Consider full body skin exam for melanoma and investigational protocols for pancreatic cancer."  This is something I will also speak to the oncologist about on Tuesday.

I am currently reading, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot.  (Thanks to my friend, Destiny, it is an awesome book.)  The cover of the books puts it simply, "Doctors took her cells without asking. Those cells never died. They launched a medical revolution and a multimillion-dollar industry.  More than twenty year later, her children found out.  Their lives would never be the same."

Henrietta was diagnosed with cervical cancer in 1951.  And, without knowing, they took healthy and cancerous tissue slices from her cervix.  For years, researchers had been trying to grow cell cultures in laboratories.  Henrietta's cancerous cells grew - and grew and grew.  The book says there is no way to know with accuracy how many of the "HeLa" cells have been grown, but they estimate they would weigh more than 50 million tons.  It's incredible.  I'm amused by it because her cells have been instrumental in cancer research. The book says they assisted in developing chemotherapy drugs like Taxol, which I will begin receiving in about 16 days.  Thank you, Henrietta.

The book also says, (the cells) "helped to developed drugs for treating herpes, leukemia, influenza, hemophilia, and Parkinson's disease; and they've been used to study lactose digestion, sexually transmitted diseases, appendicitis, human longevity, mosquito mating...Henrietta's cells have become the standard laboratory workhorse."  Amazing, right?!

Disturbingly, her family knew nothing of how her cells were being used for quite some time.  Millions of dollars were being made with her cells and her family received no compensation.  Skloot addresses other unethical studies performed on humans such as the Tuskegee syphilis study and the research performed by seven Nazi doctors on Jewish people, both studies done without the consent of the individuals, which brings back fond memories of my medial ethics class.

I may tuck myself into bed early this evening and try finish the book.  It's extremely sad and fascinating at the same time.  I look forward to learning more about her family and whether they were ever given any financial compensation, and what other studies were done with her cells.  Oh, I forgot to mention her cells were sent into space with astronauts to see how zero gravity would impact cellular growth.

Changing subjects - I walked up City Creek for the second time since I started chemo this afternoon.  Olivia and I designated today as "lazy day," but I just really wanted to get out and enjoy the cooler temperatures and a little sun.  I donned one of my favorite new pink shirts, shorts, and shoes.  No hat today.  I was only able to walk uphill 11 minutes.  A far cry from last year when I hiked 6 miles up to the top of Kinport Peak.  Argh.  It's okay.  I took my time and listened to the birds, watched my beloved dragonflies zipping around, and inhaled the clean breeze which had a hint of fall in it.

Unfortunately, I'm still being afflicted by extremely painful back spasms.  As I mentioned after my first chemotherapy session, I talked with the oncologist about it and I underwent an MRI to make sure cancer had not spread to my back.  Luckily, no cancer was found.  But, on day 10 after chemotherapy, without fail, the back spasms return.  It is hard to describe.  It doesn't seem to be affecting my musculature.  It seems as if I have contractions in my spine.  I feel a pulsating pain from my hips to the back of my head that lasts for a minute or two.  It take my breath away.  I'm reluctant to tell the oncologist about it on Tuesday, because I DO NOT want them to reduce my chemotherapy drugs further, but it is equally concerning and painful enough that I'm going to have to bring it up once again.

Hey, I did have a great achievement this week.  I was asked by a colleague to tape a session on our local television station about Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  October is the 25th anniversary of National Breast Cancer Month.  I was more than happy to.  Because the PMC Cancer Center staff is so integral to my care, I asked that someone accompany us on the panel.  Jennifer Robinson, PA, accompanied us.  We talked about breast cancer prevention, screening, forms of breast cancer, my journey and the Women's Health Check program, which screens women with low income for breast and cervical cancer.  The show will be aired twice a week during the month of October.   I will forever be an advocate for breast cancer awareness and was honored to be asked to tape the show!

So, now, to enjoy the next two days to the fullest. Tuesday is chemo.  My fourth and last session of Adriamycin and Cytoxan.  Each treatment has made my side effects worse, so I'm anxious about it.  I continually remind myself the drugs are killing the cancer cells.  My body will become healthy again!

Happy Autumn, everyone!

4 comments:

  1. This was an interesting and informative post, Denise. I've seen that book; now I know I must read it!

    I've been thinking of you so much since Jen told me of your positive BRACA2 test. I suspected you'd make the exact decision you did (bilateral mastectomy and oopherectomy) and I'm so glad you are being pro-active! Fight fight fight!

    hugs,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a GREAT post Miss Denise and I learned so many new things. I also have added a book to my must read list..thank you for that as well.

    I am with you..I make the same decision and have the surgeries done so that I would not have to worry about that in the future. Once again knowledge is POWER!!!

    It is not about how far you walk or how much you can do it is about enjoying the moments and taking in the sights!!!

    I love, love, love that you were on the channel 12 show for Breast Cancer month. You are huge advocate and a great person to do it.

    I also thought of you when I bought Aidan his new soccer pants and shorts and they were the "live strong" brand where a lot of the proceeds go to cancer research which I think is AWESOME!!!

    Just keep swimming!!

    WEndi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you and hoping that your chemo today is tolerable. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, Your writing is very easy to follow and understand. Thank you for your honesty and the information that you give to all. My mother died from Breast Cancer after 7 hard years of fighting. Go girl. We will all be thinking of you and wishing you very special thoughts.

    ReplyDelete