Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Surgery Update and INSPIRING Message

It has been just a little over one week since my hysterectomy. It was quite an adventure! I must have jinxed myself because I told my husband Michael over and over again that I was nervous about the surgery and that one of my biggest fears was having a catheter.

On Monday, March 19th, I checked into the hospital at 11 a.m. and then went into surgery promptly at 1 p.m. It was done laparoscopically (which I'm very thankful for), so I have only three incisions. During the surgery, she found my bladder was in a very odd place and adhered to my abdominal wall. She needed to move it to get to the other area to remove my ovaries and uterus, etc., and when doing so, she noticed a small hole in my bladder. Not a good thing. She called a urologist to assist her and he sutured it closed. The bad news is that I have to have a catheter in place for two weeks! I've had one week with it. I call it/her "Cath-erina." Now one week to go.

For people who are wondering why I had this surgery, it was because I have the BRCA2 genetic mutation which puts me at great risk to get ovarian cancer.

I was in the hospital for two nights and am resting and recovering well. I am sleeping SO much! I've had two days where I've slept for about 19 hours without waking...the beauty of having "Cath-erina." The pain is still present, but lessons a little every day. I find just sitting up and chatting with visitors is painful and my pain increases significantly.

Another thing about this surgery, it put me into what is known as "surgical menopause." And, because of the BRCA2 mutation I cannot go on hormone replacement therapy. I am on a medication to lessen hot flashes, but I still have several a day. No fun.

Now, on to the message. I'll insert it now and comment on it later!

My closest family, friends, and co-workers know I am a HUGE Lance Armstrong fan. I've read his book, "It's Not About the Bike" several times, and most recently when I was diagnosed with cancer myself. My husband and I have been watching the Tour de France for 22 years and were immediate fans when he started racing in "The Tour."

I have a friend who works for Lance and he told Lance about my journey through cancer and some of the difficulties I've had recently. Getting the message from Lance ranks up there with my wedding day and the birth of my children.

Thank you Matt and Lance!!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! So cool you got a video from Lance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's just about the coolest thing ever, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is AWESOME Miss Denise. I became an admirer of Lance Armstrong after becoming friends with you!! He truly is an amazing man and it is only fitting that he would share such a HUGE message of inspiration with you since you are an AMAZING Woman!!!

    I met a woman who had Stage 3 Triple Negative Breast Cancer she has gone through what you have and has been cancer free for over 2 years. I told her about you and she said "Just keep on fighting" you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, AJ, Wendi, and "unknown." Wendi I appreciate hearing about the woman with TNBC and she's two years without a recurrence!

    ReplyDelete