Monday, March 19, 2012

Another Surgery Tomorrow

Hello family, friends, and blog family,

Yes, I'm having my fifth surgery since June of 2011, when a lumpectomy was performed, and cancer was found. The physician knew by looking at it that it was cancer. I think I saw tears in her eyes as she told me. That was our 22nd wedding anniversary. It's one we won't forget.

Tomorrow I will be having a total hysterectomy. It's being done because I'm BRCA2+, a genetic mutation greatly increasing my chances of getting ovarian cancer. It increases many other types of cancer as well, but my oncologists wanted this surgery done ASAP. I'm nervous about it. And, I'm hungry because I can only have clear liquids today! And I have to do the lovely "bowel prep" so my colon is collapsed, making it easier to perform the laparoscopic hysterectomy. My doctor said she'll look to see if I have adhesions from my c-section (1992, Conor), and I have too much scar tissue she might have to skip the laparoscope and open me up to get to everything. I also asked her to take a look at my appendix while she's in there. My mother had cancer in her appendix when I was in high school, and then 15 years ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer.

She is a survivor as well. I'm now saying I'm in "remission" and a "cancer survivor." The radiation oncologist said I will never be "cured." He said we both need to be vigilant to catch a recurrent cancer when and IF it try to take another go with me. That was not what I wanted to hear. I wanted to hear I would be "in the clear" once I was at the five year mark. It is said to be the best time for a woman with Triple Negative Breast Cancer to have cancer recur. Really, the first 3 years are crucial, to watch for cancer with TNBC. That being said, because I'm BRCA2+, I'll always have to be vigilant about anything that seems to aggravate me for more than 10 days. If "said aggravation" lasts 10 days, I have to call the cancer center immediately.

I am going to have a chest scan on March 26th to see if the nodule in my lung has changed since it was performed in November. Maybe radiation blew it to smithereens. Two days later I get the results from the oncologists. I'm praying it's not cancer.

 For now, I just need to get through tomorrow successfully, and go through recovery, and get back to work. The reason I haven't written as much lately is when I'm done working 3-5 I'm exhausted and I go to sleep. I'll hopefully start to get my energy back and write more about recovery and beginning life anew "post-cancer." I can't wait to walk and run again! I can't wait for spring. We've had a few glimpses of spring here in Idaho, but as of right now, it has been raining for about 24 hours, and it is sleeting in our backyard. It's nearly 8 pm and I'll be heading to bed soon. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight.

We head to the hospital at 11am and the surgery is at 1 pm. I've left packing for tomorrow morning so I can use my nervousness to good use. I'll be back in the blogosphere once I'm feeling a bit better!
------------------------
Ok....I'm adding on to yesterday's post. I am SO HUNGRY. My last meal was at Buddy's on St. Patrick's Day! Hopefully it was good luck! 


Now, off to pack. 

1 comment:

  1. I hope everything went well and you have a speedy recovery. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete